A reader sent me this link to a great article on cleaning, Alyson Voss a Freelance Writer – Lifestyle. I hope you enjoy these tips on how to keep your house clean.
In the day-to-day hustle and bustle, keeping the house clean can seem about as likely as winning the lottery—but it doesn’t have to consume hours of your daily time. Aside from the occasional in-depth cleaning sessions, you can stay on top of daily dirt and grime in just 30 minutes a day (or less!). With just a little organization and pre-planning, you’ll breeze through basic cleaning tasks in no time.
Follow this checklist to get your home in tip-top shape in just 30 minutes.
Set the stage
- Conquer clutter: Keep random objects out of your way by assigning each family member a “collection station” (use a large laundry basket or unused trash can) for corralling things that don’t have a home. Everyone is responsible for emptying their stations once they’re full.
- Gather your weapons: Use a cleaning caddy to bring your main supplies from room to room as you clean. Stock it with Lysol Disinfectant Spray, disinfecting wipes, cleaning cloths, and any other necessities. If your home has multiple levels, create one full caddy for each.
- Map out your route: Systematic patterns can shave serious time off your cleaning. One recommended method is to start each room at the top, to the left of the doorway, and move clockwise and down. Use a logical room-to-room path with no backtracking to save even more time.
Start your engines
- Focus, grasshopper: When you’re ready to start speed-cleaning, focus on the task at hand by putting down the phone and turning off the television. If you can’t stand the silence or need motivation, tune into your favorite radio station or kick up your most energetic iPod playlist.
- Skip the little things: Give yourself permission to ignore tedious, time-consuming tasks that don’t need to be performed daily. Extend tasks like dusting off knick-knacks, scouring spice racks, rearranging shelves, and wiping down window treatments to once a month.
- Wipe away germs: Instead of breaking out the spray and scrubber for every surface, use Lysol disinfecting wipes to quickly clean frequently touched or trafficked surfaces that are already relatively clean. You’ll save time, and you can give these areas a proper weekly cleaning with Lysol Disinfectant Spray to maintain pristine conditions.
- Banish the broom: If you vacuum carpets but sweep hard flooring, save time and energy by leaving the broom in the closet and vacuuming everything. It’s just as effective, and eliminates one bulky tool. Invest in a 50-foot extension cord, and you can vacuum room to room without unplugging and re-plugging.
- Finish with a refreshing scent: As a final touch for each room, use an air freshener. Your home will look and smell amazing.
The more often you follow your speed-cleaning checklist, the easier and faster it will be. You’ll save hours of time, and the dirt, germs, and odours won’t have a fighting chance.
Need help getting your home organized so it is easier to clean. Contact Mind over Clutter to help simplify things to make cleaning easier.
Julie Stobbe is a Trained Professional Organizer who brings happiness to homes and organization to offices, in person and virtually. She enjoys working with her clients to provide customized organizing solutions to suit their individual needs and situation. She reduces clutter, streamlines processes and manages time to help her clients be more effective in reaching their goals. Contact her at email@example.com