7 Tips to Reduce Paper Clutter
We use 20% of the stuff we own. Keep the 20% of paper that is important and discard the other 80% . Click To Tweet
1. Don’t allow paper to build up
- Handle paper daily, don`t let it grow into a pile
- Place all paper in one location, don’t let it travel all over the home
- Open mail and discard the envelop and advertising
- Schedule a time to file, make calls, pay bills etc
2. Make a decision on each paper the first time you touch it
- If it can be done in 60 seconds or less to it now, otherwise R.A.F.T it
- Set up 3 files, bins or trays and sort your paper into:
- R – read later
- A – action required
- F – file
- T – toss it / shred it now
3. Follow through on work
- Each time you pick a sheet of paper put a small dot on the top corner.
- Three dots or more means it is time to take action on that piece of paper.
- If you are procrastinating about what to do, it probably means you are not sure how to solve the problem in the paperwork. Ask for advise, designate it to someone else, research the issue or break it into smaller parts you can complete.
4. Be ruthless
- 80% of what is filed is never accessed again, so 80% or more of the paper you receive on a daily basis can be discarded
- Clear out your files once or twice a year
- Remove yourself from subscription lists
5. Think before you print
- File e-mails in a folder on the computer
- Print only the selection of the e-mail or webpage you need
6. Store inactive files in boxes indicating a destroy date
7. Follow retention guidelines
- Retain files as specified by your company or accountant
- Put inactive files in boxes and place them in storage indicating a destroy date on the box
- Clear out outdated files
For more great office organizing ideas read “Don’t Agonize Organize Your Office” by Diane A Hatcher
If you need help with your paper organizing book a complimentary discovery organizing session with me. Organizing Session
Julie Stobbe is a Trained Professional Organizer and Lifestyle Organizing Coach who brings happiness to homes and organization to offices, in person and virtually. She enjoys working with her clients to provide customized organizing solutions to suit their individual needs and situation. She reduces clutter, streamlines processes and manages time to help her clients be more effective in reaching their goals. Julie can coach you to break-free of the physical or emotional clutter constraining you from living life on your terms.
Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to learn more about working with a Professional Organizer?