When your life becomes disorganized it is usually caused by one of four reasons. If you are feeling overwhelmed, try looking at your M.E.S.S. this way.
M – Mechanical
Clutter can be caused because you don’t have the right type of storage. It is a mechanical problem.
- A drawer maybe broken,
- There aren’t any shelves to put things on
- There aren’t any closets
- Your containers are too small or too big or you don’t have any
- Some people are very sentimental and find it difficult to let go of things. Try to remember that it is the relationship that you have with the person that is important not the item they gave you.
- Depression makes it hard to have enough energy to make decisions and organize your items
- Anxiety can clutter your mind so you find it difficult to make decisions
There are things that happen in your life that can put you into a state of chaos temporarily
- Having a baby
- Seasonal Celebrations – Halloween, Christmas. Passover,
- The end of school or the beginning of a year
If you have systems in place for getting things done than the work becomes easier because you don’t have to think about how to do it, who will do it, when it will get done. Develop systems for
- meal planning and grocery shopping
- collecting the garbage and getting to the curb or dumpster
- gift giving
- feeding the pets
- doing homework
You probably don’t have a disease that is causing you to be disorganized just a mechanical, emotional, situational or systematic problem that is contributing to your temporary disorganization . Determine which is the main cause of your disorganization and your problems can be solved so you have a great S.P.A.C.E.